Wednesday 7 August 2013

Why I'm doing all this

I've been planning this and planning...  "Wouldn't it be good if I...", "I wonder what it would be like if I..." and "would anyone even read it if I..." (so thanks, for starters, for being here!)

So this is me kicking myself to do it.  The documentation of my University life - application onward - from the point of view of a single mum.

This is a bit old, but I like it!
Yeah, I'm nuts, right?  In September (next month, eek!), I'll be heading 100 miles North, away from my family, to the University of York, finally starting my Masters degree in Engineering, with my three year old boy in tow.  By the time I graduate, if I do graduate, my little man will be 7 years old.  Well, we can always do our homework together!!

Since 2008, I've been completing an Engineering Apprenticeship, and loving the work.  Best thing I'd done - Until 2010, when Elim appeared in my life!  But being a mum didn't stifle my engineering desire one bit!  If anything, I wanted to do better, and work harder, to provide a life for my little family.  I want my son to be proud of me one day.

About a year ago, I found out that at the end of my apprenticeship, I wasn't going to be kept on at the company.  I have the cuts in the defense budget to thank for that, but I'm not the only one in those shoes!  It wouldn't be fair of me to hold a grudge when my company have given me the most amazing platform into my career that I could have asked for - the experience, the banter and the confidence.  They've only driven me to reach for the highest possible option, because I know I can do the work!

And the highest option for me right now? My Masters Degree in Avionics!  I'm looking forward to it so much!

That's my introduction, anyway.  I'll be keeping a blog of my experiences - the hardships and the good times.  I hope that there are other single mums out there whom myself and my boy can persuade to go for it!  And I hope that you can learn from my inevitable mistakes, even if I can't!

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end." - Ernest Hemingway

No comments:

Post a Comment